Zambia-UK Health Workforce Alliance
Phi is a founding member of the Zambia UK Health Workforce Alliance - a growing network of Zambian-based and UK-based organisations who work together to promote and improve the coordination and impact of joint work in health programmes.
The Alliance was launched in June 2009 at Guy’s and St Thomas’s NHS Foundation Trust, London, with the mission to:
- Support the Government of the Republic of Zambia to implement its plans to increase and develop its health workforce and its health systems and to contribute towards achieving the health related Millennium Development Goals; and to
- Provide opportunities for learning and development for health workers and institutions in both Zambia and the UK
The Alliance aims to achieve this mission by:
- Providing a focal point to help ensure that Zambia’s health needs and requests for support and mutual development are known and understood by UK organisations
- Promoting specific projects at the request of the Zambia Ministry of Health
- Helping ensure better coordination between all the many groups which have links and partnerships between the two countries – eg universities, hospitals and other health organisations, diaspora groups, NGOs, private companies and government departments
- Testing out the concept of such an Alliance with a view to creating others between the UK and other countries as appropriate
Currently their main project is to strengthen training and education of health workers in Zambia. For further information about the activities and outcomes of this project, and the Alliance in general, please visit the Alliance’s website.